Followers

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Days’d and Confused


The first day of the year, when most of us are sleeping off a long night of too much food and probably a few drinks too many, has been declared Global Family Day.  Hey, sounds like a good idea.  The family is a complex yet fundamental institution in our society.  January 1 has also been the World Day of Peace since 1967.  You may have missed this most important event due to that same hangover that kept you from lovey-dovey cuddling on, oh yeah, New Year’s Day.

Let’s jump forward to International Customs Day (January 26). I wonder if that is “customs” like the agency responsible for collecting duties at the airport.  OK, probably not, but what exactly is this day for?  I think we need to clarify this day, after all there are plenty of customs that we may be better off without. Anyway, we have to get ourselves emotionally prepared for the next day - International Day of Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust.  No matter how you cut it, the systematic murder of millions of people in the middle of Europe just 70 years ago cannot be brushed aside.

Just think about all those poor kids in the world living on the streets trying to survive from one day to the next, but save it for January 31: Street Children’s Day.  World Wetlands Day (February 2) is not merely a crazy environmental call for duck lovers.  Our wetlands are crucial for biodiversity and therefore for our own well-being.  February 3 seems to be free for the moment, but World Cancer Day rushes in on February 4.  We all have lost loved ones taken from us too soon by this relentless disease.  We have to do something about it.

International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation – February 6.  World Day of the Sick – February 11.  Both extremely worthy causes.  Are you writing this all down?  Schedule in World Radio Day on February 13.  What?  World Day of Social Justice is on February 20.  Few issues have a greater impact than social justice, even though I have to say I am getting a little weary at this point and it is still the middle of February.  Deep breath.  Get a good night’s sleep and re-energize.

International Mother Language Day is celebrated on the following day.  I can probably manage to go to some kind of demonstration if I skip dinner with my family.  After all, it isn’t Global Family Day anyway.   At last we’ve made it to March which starts off with International Day for Ear and Hearing on the 3rd. Are you ready for the International Women’s Day public reading event on March 8?   In your free time you can prepare a text to read between work, family, cooking, cleaning, shopping, studying, getting exercise and preparing for World Day of Muslim Culture, Peace, Dialogue and Film, which is a short three days away.  March 14 is a double whammy: International Day of Action for Rivers and, my favorite, Pi Day.  Before your mouth starts watering, no, it’s not Pie Day, but Pi Day.  Don’t ask.

I could go on. Heck, in October there are 34 International or World “Days”.  On March 20 alone there are five “days”.  I can’t take it.  I’m physically fatigued, emotionally emaciated, mentally muddled, spiritually spent.  I’m plumb tuckered out.  I am failing miserably as a citizen of our global village. I haven’t observed the International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade since, uh, never.   I have a hard enough time getting from Monday to Tuesday, much less from World Hemophilia Day to International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression.

The last thing I wish to do here is belittle any of these causes, concerns or commemorations.  I really believe that we have to remember our past and try, albeit imperfectly, to learn from it.  We must not forget the weak, the disabled, the less fortunate, the needy.  However, I ask you, sincerely, how can I dedicate the necessary time and energy to all these meaningful “days”?  Do I pick and choose?  Genital mutilation, yes.  Cancer, no.  Please, don’t make me do that.

If you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll sit this one out.

5 comments:

  1. Great!!!!
    I got impressed. I didn't know there were so many international days. I've made a research and I've found several even more shocked.I hope you chose them properly to write about in this blog. Otherwise it could be exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to be able to read between lines but I am hardly capable to read a simple text
    Is night and I am runnig out of strength, but I might get the gist.
    Thank you for breaking the trendy and for the words play on the title.

    To be continued!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. It reminds me of the endless list of food festivals that take place in Galicia every summer.

    ReplyDelete

  4. When I had a go at taking part on this blog I promised myself not only to be brave but
    mainly honest. My parents have taught me- and live has been the most demandig
    teacher- that I am responsible for my opinions and beliefs and this is a great source of
    strength.

    I have been reading the text above and it sounds, in my opinion, really bittersweet, which
    make me feel in need of a properly answer. In my mind the sentences are clear but I am
    dazed and my hand can't get the right order yet. In short my English is silly and poor.

    Nowadays when numbers seem to be more powerful than ideas, the worst attitude is the
    indifference.This is the main reason to write today.
    I am not very fond of these celebrations. The truth is they stomach my self. Days and
    numbers are meaningless words at the moment and I will not allow them to make me lack
    interest or enthusiasm.
    I will leave the word 'day' aside and I will go to the core. People are what matters.
    Don't waste our time in celebrations.

    Let's text our best habilities and used them in people favour.
    What are you good at?
    Are you a good listener?, if so,there are lots of lonely people waiting for you. Or probably
    you are very keen on playing sports, in that case, there are thousands of children willing to
    learn.

    I could spent many hours doing endless lists and much more making sloopy mistakes but
    I won't.

    It's snowing outside at the moment and that makes me keep the earth below my feed.
    I am seeing clearly. There are people who need o be cuddeled up by someone.
    Sorry I'm rushing.

    .....You won't be easily ride of me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not going to try to explain what I meant in the text. I'll let the text speak for itself, but I agree with your assertion that the text is bittersweet. I also agree that indifference is the worst illness that can befall humankind. Maybe the idea that it took me 600 words to express can better be summed up by something you so elegantly wrote in just 10: People are what matters. Don't waste our time on celebrations.

      Well done.

      Delete